PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 21st Feb 2006, 19:07
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero Eng,

A degree probably wont help you get a pilot job directly but it does say a lot about your character, commitment and ability to study for a higher education. In the subconcious mind of a recruiter, it is never going to make you look bad.

I have a BSc and decided to do it before I started flying! There were two reasons for this.

1. If I lost my pilot medical it gave me something better than stacking supermarket shelves to fall back on!

2. I thought it would help me get a pilot job. It definately has!!!!!!!!

By this I mean, all the study skills learnt help me breeze thorugh two sets of ATPLs (30+ ICAO and JAA exams) with about a 90% AVG. Those that dont have one (a degree) cant really comment in my opinion but the life experience you gain from it can not be gained anywhere else. Scroggs is right about the content and about failing the degree which looks really bad but I say that a Degree (of substance) is definately going to help you. It helped me for sure and I dont regret it one bit!

Besides, if you are young, 3 years of your life is nothing and if you fly during your UNI years, do the ATPLS on the side (which is totally feasable if you are dedicated), you should come out with a Degree and FATPL in only a couple of years more than it would have taken you for you FATPL.

Aim high and you will achieve high, its definately worth it in my book, and has helped me a lot. Good luck and GO FOR IT!