PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRASIA's Interview/selection process for Direct Entry
Old 21st Feb 2006, 18:09
Chill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Expats & Equality...

Virtual Reality.

Sorry to remove your VR glasses for a minute, but whatever gave you the idea that the expats (Indon, Iraqi or otherwise) were treated equally??? Workload, yes - all got the same job to do under the same demanding conditions. Bonds, yeah maybe - all got outrageous bonds, but only the expats got ridiculous penalty clauses in their contracts. Pay, same-same - all on the same low pay, but only locals will benefit from a bulk of the employee shares. Fleet transition, I s'pose AA can "put the blame" on DCA for that one - "We'd like to put you all on 320, but DCA won't let us..."
There's local terms, and then there is "local terms" - welcome to reality

Bonecollector2.

I know your "pain" and sadly many will appear luckier than you at this time, but truth is only the minority are lucky enough to waltz straight in. The rest of us required years (some cases decade) of disciplined perseverance. "Getting in or started" is probably the hardest part and if you really want it, you'll need dedication and perseverance (I don't say patience because "just waiting" won't get you anywhere, you have to keep making progress in one way or another). There is a certain amount of "glamour" about this profession, but the reality is often far less glamourous - be sure this is what you want because already in AA I've seen cadets come in thinking this is some sort of "cushy, easy street" career. AA might seem easier to get into that most other airlines (for now anyway), but that in no way means the job is easier - I doubt you will ever work harder in an airline than in an LCC (particularly AA, Ryan and many others I'm sure). Keep at it and you'll get there one day - timing is everything
Your last comment is only partially correct - of course DCA will impose restrictions on foreign pilots (in the interests of local pilots and national integrity) as far as licencing is concerned and this has been somewhat brutally proven on the Airbus recently, however not true on the Boeing - this has been AA's "concession" to date. I think you will find it has been the same for MAS over the years - "concessions" are made when it suits both parties involved, LHS or RHS.

FlighHigher2.

Wish I could tell you, but for a "transparent" company this place can be surprisingly "opaque" (or perhaps it's just virtual reality). What else can I say ... The opinions of AA Management may not necessarily be those of various Government Departments - let that be a caution. For all the aspiring "cadets", the latest announcement from Training is Cadet Entry is frozen until further notice, expected to re-open in 2007.

Sabastienl.

Cadet Entry perhaps, but as I said it is frozen for now. For all the rest I've seen no pattern - they hire when they feel like it. One month they're okay for crew, next month there's too many, next month too few... is there such a term as "manpower rollercoster"? You have a 737 TR, but no time... best bet go see PARC (eg. the "Irish guys"), but be prepared for T&Cs - AA will want blood if you even think about breaching contract (and you WILL think about it eventually), Management is learning (albiet very slowly) from prior experience, but they only have themselves to blame. You'll get the "other" local terms but generally expect to earn around RM6000 +/- 1K nett per month (all line FOs, trainees a little less for a while). Benefits free bottles of water in flight, half a dozen travel coupons (each good for 2 sectors within the AA network), unlimited ID75 STL (AA network only, and if you ever get time to use it), 28 days annual (if you get to take it), 10 days sick leave (you'll probably need it), 24hr personal accident/health coverage (ING) - but no Loss of Licence cover (Virtual Reality take note).