PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypertension
Thread: Hypertension
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2006, 14:00
Daede1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to put a bit of a downer on this - im below 30, and my blood pressure (Without medication) is 170/110. Before anyone says the obvious dontsmokedontdrinkdontenjoyyourlifeinanywayshapeorform, i am not a big fat lump, played rugby to county level up to last year, and aced the RAF selection test and fitness test three years ago.

There are a range of medications that can sort you out, although chances are that it will interfere with your ability to fly.
To give you an idea, i was put on beta blockers (Atenolol) which took my heart rate down to 34 beats a minute, and meant that i basically went all grey and ill looking. Then i was switched onto Olmesartan, which works by counteracting the cortisol in your blood stream. Cortisol is released when you get stressed, tightens your blood vessels, blood pressure goes up etc etc.
Ergo new pills mean that when i get stressed, my blood pressure stays normal, and when im not stressed, the pills have no effect (As my system has no cortisol in it).
As a pilot, im assuming that you would need something that is a reactionary treatment like olmesartan, not proactive like atenolol.
Your best bet by far is to get your ass along to the docs and let him check you out. One trick, dont let them take your pressure straight away - its always high when you walk into a docs. And you can book it with the nurse too