PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help!!! Lost Luggage
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2006, 10:54
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the new Terminal at Barajas Madrid, there has been a few baggage problems. Mainly due to airlines badly planning connecrions.

I recently spoke to some people who had flown BA LHR to MAD, without a hitch, and were due to connect onto Rio & Buenos Aires with an Iberia flight.

Iberia had checked them in at LHR, but advised they wil check their bags all the way but there may not be a seat for them on the second sector of the journey was overbooked. Iberia had also only allowed a 45 minute connecting time (the industry IATA minumum you should have on your ticket for an international - international connection is 75 minutes!). Then through the huge new terminal which has lack of assistance, hidden signposting and it seems, late at night, is almost impossible to get into the transfer connections area, so you have to leave the airside terminal by train to go to departures, landside, get checked in, if there are seats, get your new boarding pass, and go by train all the way back through passport control using various lifts and esculators on the way.

The bad thing is, because the taxying took longer, BA arrived on stand 5 mins late, only allowing 40 minutes connection. (I timed it and it took me 35 minutes first time round, and that wasn't with any dawdling, shopping or queues!)

So when Iberia announce there are no seats/ or they wouldn't make their flight due lack of time, BA have to pick up the tab to overnight them, etc.

Surely Iberia are overbooking to gain the revenue, knowing that it is unlikely for the customer to make the flight, but will be full on all sectors, collecting money as they go and not losing any because they are passing the rebooking/ hotel/ compensation costs onto other carriers?? Not to mention possibly ruining peoples travel plans!

Anyway (rant over), It is possible if you came through Madrid that your luggage has got so far, and now with the added backlog because of the new Madrid terminal, your bags have been further delayed. I have heard of 3 month delays before, where luggage has arrived intact, still locked.

My luggage went missing once ex Washington with BA, I got it back 24 hours later, but it had been wrecked by US security, the suitcase rendered unusable and why they felt the need to open a large pot of sealed wrapped moisturiser and not reseal it properly was totally beyond me. Total damage approx £300 and a note from the US security to say they had opened it for a random check and I am not entitled to claim.

Fingers crossed for you CHIVILCOY!!

Six