PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The “Original Air Canada” Pilots lose again.
Old 20th Feb 2006, 21:30
I hate cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I originally posted at the top of the thread this : I'd like to know how these guys are going to renegotiate their wages upwards this summer when they are still at each others throats 6 years after this merger was declared. What a mess.

Brucelee, although he has shown he is incapable of bringing facts to back up his suppostions and innuendo, has demonstrated quite competently why ACPA is in such a mess. Brucelee and OAC's open hatred and invective towards the Canadian Pilots means that they cannot be trusted and are not trusted. Its a divide that Brucelee has shown in this thread for all to see.

Why would any Canadian Pilot unify with such a twisted and inward looking group like OAC? There isnt much common ground when your supposed union is out to cheat you in an illegal seniority fight.

Air Canada has been able to exploit this divide in the past and, mark my words, they will exploit this summer. ACPA is a paper tiger. All talk, but offering nothing of value to its members.

Good luck Brucelee in attempting to put a lid on ACPA duplicity. You'll need it. All your taunts reinforce my position and weaken yours.

A recap of events last summer:

http://acpilot.********.com/2005/10/...nes-pilot.html

June 20, 2005
Subsequent to the failure of the 777/787 ratification in June 2005 ACPA issues a news release indicating:

* ‘The Association notes that the proposed contract amendment failed to gain support, in large part, due to the ongoing dissatisfaction of a number of ACPA members over how the Air Canada and Canadian Airlines pilot seniority lists were merged after the two pilot groups were brought together in 2001.

July 2005
Contrary to ACPA's news release, a poll of Air Canada pilots indicates 83% are opposed to the 777 deal due to the agreement's concessionary nature, 17% due to seniority issues.

September 23, 2005
ACPA issues a news release stating:

* "The decision to begin the mediation process was approved by ACPA's Master Executive Council today," said Captain Kent Wilson, President of ACPA."We sincerely hope that, Mr. Teplitsky, and the mediation process can bring the seniority issue to a final settlement," said Captain Wilson. "For the pilots and for the Company, we must resolve the issue in a fair way that allows us to move forward."

September 25, 2005
ALPA issues a news release indicating:

* ‘that Air Canada and ACPA both agreed in 2003 that their current seniority arrangement, known as the Keller Award, would be final and binding. "Both parties are being unethical and dishonest for their narrow self-interest; ACPA wants to push the OCP group as far down the seniority list as possible and Air Canada is pretending to assist ACPA so that they can re-activate their new aircraft order. This has nothing to do with fairness…’

September 29, 2005
ALPA issues the following discussion paper to assist xCAIL pilots in their lobbying efforts:

October 12, 2005

Former Canadian pilots issue a news release confirming their refusal to participate in a new Air Canada mediation on pilot seniority issue:

* "Re-opening the seniority issue is simply Air Canada responding to what amounts to blackmail by its former Air Canada pilots, who the company wants to appease so they will accept the acquisition of new Boeing 777/787's," Captain Robert McInnis, who represents 1,200 former Canadian Pilots and chairs the Former Canadian Pilots Integration Committee said. "In 2003, Air Canada management, original Air Canada pilots and former Canadian Airlines pilots all agreed that the pilot seniority award of Arbitrator Brian Keller would be 'final and binding'. This move shows a troubling disrespect for the law. We trust the CIRB (Canadian Industrial Relations Board) will unequivocally reject this appeal."

* "In the unlikely event that the CIRB agrees to re-open the issue, it would be a dangerous precedent that could jeopardize the seniority awards of all other Air Canada unions, all final and binding arbitrators' awards, and all CIRB decisions," McInnis added.