PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA versus JAA PPL?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 20:28
Titan Airways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAA versus JAA PPL?

My apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I searched and couldn’t find a past thread relating to it.
I’m an Irish low hours PPL(A) student pilot. I have the benefit of still being at the stage where I can pick and choose where and when I want to carry out my flying training. I’m currently deliberating over whether to get a JAA or FAA licence.
From the research I’ve done I’ve come to a few conclusions and raised a few questions, but what are the pro’s and cons of each?
1) Is it difficult to transfer an FAA licence to a JAA licence afterwards. If possibly going commercial is a JAA licence more practical?
2) Are there any limitations to the usage of an FAA private pilots licence here in Ireland? I understand the night rating is invalid outside of the US. Are there any others?
3) The cost and amount of necessary hours for the FAA PPL are less than a JAA one, but is the course any easier?
4) What are the requirements for maintaining an FAA licence?
5) Is the theoretical knowledge course/exam much different to that of the JAA?
6) I’ve heard about people here getting JAA licences, and then adding an FAA “rating” on, entitling them to all the privileges of an FAA licence by filling out forms. Is this a viable option to maintaining both a JAA and FAA licence?
From what I’ve read up, and by comparing both the JAA licence and FAA licence side by side, it seems that the FAA licence stands well out from the JAA one. If this is so why aren’t droves of people signing up for FAA training and the JAA licence given the boot?
I know I’ve asked a good few questions above, but I’d appreciate if you could shed some light on this, and finally give me a clearer view of the situation.
Thanks in advance.
Titan