PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 17:35
anjouan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Excellent article SASless. Where did Mr Abati publish it?
So far today has been relatively quiet in the Niger Delta, though there are unconfirmed reports that the MEND militants damaged an oil supply facility at Ughelli and blew up some accommodation barges being used by the Nigerian Army. MEND has also said that as from midnight it will be increasing its activities, though President Obasanjo has reportedly told the military to stop further attacks on Ijaw communities in the area while talks are going on for the release of the foreign hostages. This may help to quieten the situation.
Shell has closed Osubi airport, so not too good for anybody living in Warri and trying to get out of the area . The airfield has been given more protection by the Nigerian army, but its location makes it difficult to get to in a crisis and easy to attack. Several foreign companies in the Warri area, notably Daewoo, have ceased the operations for the time being and sent expatriate workers out of the country.
I haven't heard if Pan African are still flying from Escravos today, but I hear that aero are not operating their Dash 8s in there for now.
7-3, yes I would think that's about right for now Musket, especially with the religious riots and deaths adding to President Obasanjo's problems.