PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rocky Road to Commercial Aviation - Please help out a wannabe!
Old 20th Feb 2006, 17:01
Four-Six North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey energie,

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. Graduated with a degree in Corporate Finance, working a good job in my field, and slowly starting with the PPL now that prior debts are paid off and obligations taken care of.

What the other more experienced guys have said above is pretty much what I’ve been hearing all along, so my approach is to give the PPL a shot, if I continue to be in love with it at the end of it (hey, anyone can say they’ve been dreaming of this for years) then maybe giving up the old bill-paying job in favour of the flying career won’t be nearly as difficult.

Of course as much as I’m taking it “one step at a time”, I can’t help but wonder what the cut-off age for the regionals/airlines is these days. There also seems to be some differing opinions as to whether or not the prospects in the near future are better in Canada or in Europe. Any opinions here?

Also, WRT the military, I was told by a recruiter about a year ago that given the huge pilot shortage they’re facing, he was expecting them to relax the vision requirements at the entry phase. Instead, apparently they decided to relax the academic standards (I believe you now no longer have to have completed high-school physics and chemistry). I recently wrote a letter to the Minister of Defence, the Chief of Recruiting at DND Ottawa, and my MP suggesting they “modernize” their vision standards. Maybe you should do the same if you’re interested in that route (you never know!).

All the best,

46N