PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 15:50
JMIKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermal Image
Since you have a certain fetish with numbers, appreciate this:

The Flying College has now produced more than 1000 Second Officers. The allowance paid to the cadets has remained unchanged all these years since the beginning around 1989.

At least 1/4 of the 1000 or so cadets (before they became SOs) were married with children. For sure they were in negative cash flow for the entire duration of their cadetship. If only you were there to counsel them before they accepting their employment with SIA / it's subsidiaries. What a difference that would have made, wouldn't it?

Or perhaps, more likely, they are a pragmatic lot, and know that this chance will not come again in their lifetime. Perhaps, they know that, almost everywhere else in the world, they would have to pay for a frozen ATPL, associated housing and living expenses, costing maybe, oh, US$75,000, if they are lucky. And without any job offer at the end of all that expense.

Perhaps you know an airline that will pay you your actual street worth, even whilst you are a cadet pursuing an ab-initio course, but contributing nothing at all to your employer. Save all these poor exploited cadet-wannabes then, and post the link to such an airline here. Before you do that, make sure you compare apples with apples. Here are some hints for your comparison to be valid:

1. Make sure that you compare a cadet pilot scheme with another cadet pilot scheme (not ATC, not policeman / fireman / rifleman, and certainly not Bangla worker).

2. Cadet MUST be an employee of airline sponsoring him. Cadet pilot schemes where the cadet is NOT an employee of the airline sponsoring him, are not valid comparisons.

3. Airline sponsoring the cadet scheme must be in same league as SIA.

Go on then, educate us all on how we've been screwed by SIA.

I notice that it is only your first post - and you start off by making unflatterring remarks about SIA. If you are already a cadet but are using the forum as a platform to agitate for more pay, then know this - remember Ryan Goh. There are ways to get things done in SIA. But butting heads and antagonising the establishment will cost you. As a cadet you have no doubt been told that you are the lowest form of life in SIA. You will in fact be treated as such. And you might just find yourself mysteriously getting tough instructors and eventually getting chopped.

And if you are NOT already a cadet - then stay away, You can't even compare apples with apples, even after I point out that you are comparing training salaries against working salaries, you still miss the point and compare training salaries of SIA cadets against training salaries of OTHER professions.

You sure don't have what it takes to be a pilot.
well, correct me if i am wrong, this is a discussion forum, and not a altar reserved for worshipping and flattering SIA. And if discussion by defnition is solely limited at asking when the next round of interviews, good lucks, praise the current fleet of Pilots: then forgive me.. maybe i should search for a correctly labelled 'discussion forum'.

And yes, even if this is my first post, at least i stay focused on discussing as issue. I can't say the same for you Thermal Image, for its not necessary for you to start taking jibes at me personally. Doing so just shows the quality of you as a participating forumner. I noticed that there are other participants here who have similarly showed displeasure at the manner you conduct yourself here. Do remember, this forum is not reserved for cadets and pilots exclusively. This open forum has successfully attracted other professionals like myself who measure you, a Pilot, based on the quality of your post.

Take stock and reflect. I will be more keen to hear opinions, be it good or bad, from other people who may not label their own juniors as "low lifes". And if you are interested to really hit me for being a supposed rebellious cadet, here's the painful profile truth: i'm retired, hardly cadet material actually.

Oh btw, thanks for the following piece of info, its really enlightening what a statement like this means to those who are inclined to the field of Economics, namely Inflation. Shoot me for my unflattering comments pls, but this is hardly a complimentary statement to the casual eye, and may i presumeably cite that it comes from an SIA loyalist.

"The allowance paid to the cadets has remained unchanged all these years since the beginning around 1989."