PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier sued over Pinnacle CRJ crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 14:18
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi barit 1 and all.

I think this is one of the most important threads going.

Again, I haven't flown the CRJ. I have flown T tail airplanes or planes with tail mounted engines. They are fine designs and I would prefer this type of plane over the 737 configuration...indeed, when the 737 was first proposed it was a T tail like the BAC 111, trident, dc9 etc. But some smart guy thought boeings should look a bit different. The 737 ended up with a huge vertical fin and rudder which was required for the engine out scenario with engines on wings. by the way, the 737 has lost both engines and glided to a safe landing ( 737-300 entered heavy rain, lost both glided to landing on levey in the american southwest somewhere...a foreign carrier too)

BUT I DIGRESS.

On one of the planes I flew, when the stall warning activated, the ignition would automatically come on to protect the engines from flame out. Does anyone know if the CRJ has this protection?

And, since we ( collectively that is) have proven that the CRJ can lose power in both engines at high angle of attack, during high altitude stall or upset, have the engines, inlets, or ignition systems been red-designed to protect against this happening again?

interestingly enough, all of my training in transport jets calls for battling the stall with firewall power and trying to maintain altitude (it is not my view in all cases of course). Could the training have been part of the problem. I will say that this stall recovery technique is mainly for low altitude and also for windshear. In the manual for another jet it says that this method MAY NOT WORK at high altitude and to trade altitude to recover.

there was quite a bit of talk about the AOA display or whatever it was in the cockpit...many a slip twixt the cup and lip... if the plane aint' flying right, start to unload it, push forward and get it flying even if in a high rate of descent. All pilots should read "stick and rudder" and memorize what the brilliant author says about stalls and how to get out of trouble.

jon

blabbering on