PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 14:00
Thermal Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMIKE
Hi Thermal Image, thanks for sharing your point of view.

I understand that you are highlighting to me the difference here being that a Cadetship in SIA is offering a fully sponsored training, which is why there is a huge markdown in salary. While this argument may sound reasonable at first glance, I wish to draw your attention to similar arrangement for employment in Singapore. For e.g, the training program offered to Graduates coming into the uniformed groups (SCDF, SAF, Police) to be groomed as Officers in the respective force is somewhat similar. Graduates coming in are also with zero experience, with an almost guaranteed job (subject to performance) and will eventually be working for a reputable govt organisation. The difference though, is that they continue to draw full pay through this period of training, not just earning a meagre salary (allowance, pocket money..whatever one will classify that amount). If the above example is deemed not comparable, perhaps we can move the example closer to the Aviation Industry: CAAS Air Traffic Controller. After successfully completing a selection process, a PATCO will be put through a training program at SAA. However, he earns full pay through the program too. This is regardless of his eventual fate on whether he makes it or not.

So, taking into consideration the above examples as points of references, I certainly feel that the terms of employment offered by SIA to its Cadet Pilots is not aligned with the industry norm. Logically, it leaves me with the impression of their "take it or leave it" stance. Note that I am not one to belittle the profession or anything, but I certainly want to lend a perspective that any rational candidate might want to think about just in case they may be commiting blindly to something that they may personally regret in the future (should things don't work out).

To conclude, I understand that a major reason for any candidate to take up a career in SIA is their love for the flying. However, in my opinion, this should be balanced with economic reasoning. About what you mentioned on one's imaginary self worth, to make a decision here, it is actually the realistic self worth that we are mirroring against, and usually, as a Graduate, the opportunity cost would easily mean a gainful employment with alternative, attractive pay packages and as good a job prospects in another firm.

my 2 cents worth, G'day.
Since you have a certain fetish with numbers, appreciate this:

The Flying College has now produced more than 1000 Second Officers. The allowance paid to the cadets has remained unchanged all these years since the beginning around 1989.

At least 1/4 of the 1000 or so cadets (before they became SOs) were married with children. For sure they were in negative cash flow for the entire duration of their cadetship. If only you were there to counsel them before they accepting their employment with SIA / it's subsidiaries. What a difference that would have made, wouldn't it?

Or perhaps, more likely, they are a pragmatic lot, and know that this chance will not come again in their lifetime. Perhaps, they know that, almost everywhere else in the world, they would have to pay for a frozen ATPL, associated housing and living expenses, costing maybe, oh, US$75,000, if they are lucky. And without any job offer at the end of all that expense.

Perhaps you know an airline that will pay you your actual street worth, even whilst you are a cadet pursuing an ab-initio course, but contributing nothing at all to your employer. Save all these poor exploited cadet-wannabes then, and post the link to such an airline here. Before you do that, make sure you compare apples with apples. Here are some hints for your comparison to be valid:

1. Make sure that you compare a cadet pilot scheme with another cadet pilot scheme (not ATC, not policeman / fireman / rifleman, and certainly not Bangla worker).

2. Cadet MUST be an employee of airline sponsoring him. Cadet pilot schemes where the cadet is NOT an employee of the airline sponsoring him, are not valid comparisons.

3. Airline sponsoring the cadet scheme must be in same league as SIA.

Go on then, educate us all on how we've been screwed by SIA.

I notice that it is only your first post - and you start off by making unflatterring remarks about SIA. If you are already a cadet but are using the forum as a platform to agitate for more pay, then know this - remember Ryan Goh. There are ways to get things done in SIA. But butting heads and antagonising the establishment will cost you. As a cadet you have no doubt been told that you are the lowest form of life in SIA. You will in fact be treated as such. And you might just find yourself mysteriously getting tough instructors and eventually getting chopped.

And if you are NOT already a cadet - then stay away, You can't even compare apples with apples, even after I point out that you are comparing training salaries against working salaries, you still miss the point and compare training salaries of SIA cadets against training salaries of OTHER professions.

You sure don't have what it takes to be a pilot.