PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - True airspeed display for landing light aircraft
Old 20th Feb 2006, 13:44
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, if you're landing a light aircraft, not a 767, you're going to go much more on external visual and other sensory cues. IAS is important on the approach and to ensure the threshold speed is correct, but thereafter you should, in my view, be 'head-out' of the cockpit, checking for drift, sink rate, judging height and getting ready for the flare etc.

I've seen a few cars with a 'digital' speed display but never driven one. I'd be interested to see a digital IAS readout - you could indicate trend by a different colour - say green for steady, yellow for increasing, red for decreasing. Oh, of course we're already using those colours for telling us we're going too fast!

As to the 'received' wisdom' that analogue instruments ae more easily interpreted than digital; I prefer a digital watch because it actually tells me what the time is, rather than my having to work out 'the big hand's just past the 2 and the little hand's just past the 5 - it must be, er, eleven past five, er 1711'. My watch says '17.11'. in big friendly numbers! I'm sure we only use round dials 'cos that's what the clock industry came up with to mimic the sundial and that's what we've all grown up with.

Lastly and more seriously, it's only by people like Linc having a go and doing something different that the rest of us benefit. Have a go & tell the rest of us what it was like!

Cheers,
TheOddOne