PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2006, 09:37
JMIKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermal Image
If you are looking for a job as an airline pilot, with ZERO experience, and are fortunate enough to be selected for a fully sponsored period of training, with an almost guaranteed job (upon satisfactory performance on your part) as a first officer with a reputable airline at the end of it all (of course I won't say the world's best airline but one that is certainly not too shabby either) but somehow wish to compare this offer with that of a construction site labourer for the duration of TRAINING, then go ahead.

Note that you are comparing a period of fully-paid training, with a period of contracted labour.

Make sure you understand what you are comparing, before you draw the conclusion that a time of cadetship with SIA, is, as you put it, pathetic.

It appears that you think that becoming an FO with SIA, as an ab-initio candidate (make sure you know what that means), is something you would turn down, given your imaginary self-worth.
Hi Thermal Image, thanks for sharing your point of view.

I understand that you are highlighting to me the difference here being that a Cadetship in SIA is offering a fully sponsored training, which is why there is a huge markdown in salary. While this argument may sound reasonable at first glance, I wish to draw your attention to similar arrangement for employment in Singapore. For e.g, the training program offered to Graduates coming into the uniformed groups (SCDF, SAF, Police) to be groomed as Officers in the respective force is somewhat similar. Graduates coming in are also with zero experience, with an almost guaranteed job (subject to performance) and will eventually be working for a reputable govt organisation. The difference though, is that they continue to draw full pay through this period of training, not just earning a meagre salary (allowance, pocket money..whatever one will classify that amount). If the above example is deemed not comparable, perhaps we can move the example closer to the Aviation Industry: CAAS Air Traffic Controller. After successfully completing a selection process, a PATCO will be put through a training program at SAA. However, he earns full pay through the program too. This is regardless of his eventual fate on whether he makes it or not.

So, taking into consideration the above examples as points of references, I certainly feel that the terms of employment offered by SIA to its Cadet Pilots is not aligned with the industry norm. Logically, it leaves me with the impression of their "take it or leave it" stance. Note that I am not one to belittle the profession or anything, but I certainly want to lend a perspective that any rational candidate might want to think about just in case they may be commiting blindly to something that they may personally regret in the future (should things don't work out).

To conclude, I understand that a major reason for any candidate to take up a career in SIA is their love for the flying. However, in my opinion, this should be balanced with economic reasoning. About what you mentioned on one's imaginary self worth, to make a decision here, it is actually the realistic self worth that we are mirroring against, and usually, as a Graduate, the opportunity cost would easily mean a gainful employment with alternative, attractive pay packages and as good a job prospects in another firm.

my 2 cents worth, G'day.