PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Lounges
Thread: AA Lounges
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2006, 20:13
HandyAndy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA Lounges

Folks,

I have just completed a HKG-LAX-MIA trip and though I would seek your comments on the lounge situation in LAX. It may be the same at other ports, but LAX was my latest experience.

The trip from HKG to LAX in F was magnificent.

After arrival in LAX, I had about 3 hours before my connection with AA to MIA and this also meant having to change terminals. Not a big problem as the walk is short but anyone with a family and/or many bags might think otherwise.

The queues (lines) for security were horrendous and it took me a full hour to get through. We all need to allow a mimimum of 1 - 1.5 hours for security alone in LAX (plus walking from International Terminal to Terminal 4 and check-in).

After security I was invited to the AA lounge. This was the biggest disappointment. It fails miserably compared to HKG and the product offered by CX. There was a pay bar (!) and very little in terms of snacks. Fortunately there was complimentary coffee. The lounge itself is OK in terms of design but what is offered to CX customers is not OK. One of the most important things is free internet connection as in The Wing or The Pier in HKG. This is not available in LAX. One needs to pay an online fee to get any access. There are 2 or 3 PC's there with a connection but this is of no use for connecting to one's own e-mail systems. I don't use webmail.

Overall, the lounge experience was unsatisfactory. I know very well the USA carriers are not as profitable as Asian carriers but they must make an effort to provide the same level of service given to American Airlines customers using the CX facilities in HKG! If I was an AA FF, I would be embarrassed at what is provided to other OneWorld partners and I refer really to CX.

The flight from LAX to MIA (domestic F) was surprisingly good. It can't be compared really to loghaul internal J, but it was a really good effort. They did take far too long to board the pax (longer than a full 744 in HKG) and we left late but the flight itself was very good. This may have been due to many pax bringing on everything including the kitchen sink.

HA