PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Large World Airports
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2006, 18:00
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAH - my usual "transit point" going hometo UK on leave - one restaurant which is shabby and so is the food and the service. Plus a couple of "fast-foods". With a 7-hour connection time both ways, it's a shame that I get the "lets have a really nice meal" feeling on a transit, there's nowhere to do it

PHL - my destination during my vacation time when visiting my daughter there - Nothing "landside" (so we can't arrive early, check in, and have a meal together before I leave). Admittedly the "fast foods" in the airside are quite good, but still no really nice restaurant.

BOS - used to be where my daughter lived - didn't actually look for a restaurant, but good "landside" facilities, including a "replica" Cheers, where we could have a drink and a snack (as long as she wasn't coming off or going on duty and in uniform!)

LCA (Larnaca, Cyprus) - oh dear, a "Sbarro" pizza place landside. Nothing to recommend it, but a quite nice bar airside. Still no restaurant.

LHR - Can't remember which terminal - Had a really good meal in a restaurant there once, but nowadays can't find it and usually spend the wait on my way back to the ME in the "Irish Bar" which is packed solid, would take even longer to get served if the staff weren't so bloody efficient

Seriously - Landside facilities are important as one usually has to arriveat least 2 hours before a departure, and family taking you to the airport appreciate arriving a bit early and having time together - often over a meal.

Airside facilities are very important for transit pax. Unless you are travelling "Club" or "First", many pax prefer to have a really nice meal to break up a long connection time (if not, they're goingto be in the bar, which Cabin Staff prefer they don't - especially if they are smokers and in these days of "totally smoke-free airports" tend to not put them in the best of moods!) rather than rely on the indifferent (awful?) offerings of in-flight meals in Ecomomy. (are the "airline chefs" listening to this????)

Luckily, in the case of BAH, I now have a "good friend" there. So instead of spending 7 hours in the airside, I can leave the airport, spend an evening in one of the great range of restaurants there, go out for a meal again the next night, and then catch the 01:00 flight to LHR 30 hours after my arrival! Makes it all the more civilised, and gets me far less stressed out than if I flew straight through!

LGW-PHL - "Envoy Class" on USAir - no need to worry about a meal at the airport; the food on the flight is magnificent. And when GF decide to upgrade me BAH-LHR, it's darned good too (GF, note, I'm on the 01:00 flight to LHR March 3rd - just a hint )