PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 19th Feb 2006, 16:08
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sum, You are quite right in what you would need to do for a conversion of your licence. You need to sit all 14 ground school exams plus the flying for the CPL + Test then the flying for the IR + Test.The reason you are not getting many replys is because no one really has the answer. I came to the UK six years ago with a nice shiney NZ CPL with about 300 hours. Since then I have converted to a JAA ATPL worked as a flying instructor for 2 years, flown Turboprops all over Europe for 2 years before finally getting my dream job with British Airways. Now with over 3000 hours and a lot of great experiences I have been very very lucky. I have not had to pay for any type ratings along the way and have never been out of work. The problem is I know other Kiwi's and Aussies who have come over and converted then been unable to get the first job!! It is a pure gamble as to what happens. The best advice I can give is that if you are willing to take the gamble then you just simply have to come and give it a go. The market here at the moment is very good with recruitment humming along nicely. With your hours you will be ahead of all the 300 hour pilots looking for the first job and I would think you will have a good chance at a job, maybe!! Don't forget though that it will take you a full year to have you licence converted and by then the whole market may have slowed, especially if things like Bird Flu, conflict with Iran, continuing high oil prices or a fall in the UK economy happen. Of course it could quite easily go the other way and my boom for another few years!! I know that at BA recruitment is expected to continue for at least the next year. Generally most airlines here will consider you if you have a CPL with minimum hours, so as I say you are in good position with your hours. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you want any more info.