PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's words to passengers
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 15:11
caulfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all,my hat off to the eloquent UAL pilot.I find it abhorrent that he may now be subject to some sort of enquiry.
What I want to see is all US pilots stand together and take control of their lives and those of their passengers.We must be first to take voluntary pay cuts and help in the economic survival of our airlines.In return,forget the 20% pay-back fund or whatever.What we must fight for is total control of how we,as pilots,run the damn operation from departure gate to arrival gate.With interference from no-one.WE're the ones up there that face any future threat,not some desk wonder on the 33rd floor.If the Captain wishes to talk to his/her passengers about any subject whatsoever,then as far as I am concerned,thats his/her prerogative.And everybody including the CEO should butt out.
We have asked for firearms and we should get them.WE must ballot members on more issues including flt deck doors and not rest until we get what WE want.In short it is up to us now through ALPA to take control of how each and every flight is run.I want a future where ALPA talks directly with the US Congress for any measure deemed necessary by the pilots.