PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Graduation from OAT and FTE
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2006, 14:21
97robem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you not think that experience within the aviation industry also has a big impact on how airlines view you? A recent survey that was performed by GAPAN and which was sent out to all the major airlines asking them questions regarding what they look for in pilots etc ranked education 7th in the list. So in terms of degrees i think airlines have made their perfectly clear, i think that FTO's, when offering "sponsorship" deals have to look at A levels and Degrees just to wittle down the vast number of candidates to a more managable chunk.

I do feel with a passion that experience and doing a hands on job in the aviation field, such as crew, dispatcher, flight planner etc says much more about you as a determined person wanting to suceed as a pilot than someone who goes to UNI, as you want to get experience and the best way to do that is hands on as the majority of information about the aviation industry can not be learnt from books, after all the basic maths and physics etc that are required for gaining your ATPL are not higher than A level so a degree is not really needed.

I am under no illusion that some people will disagree with my views and therefore I would appreciate any feedback on what you think of my views be it postive or negative, especially from people who have progressed into airlines as flight deck members and how they have have got theire and what they did.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by 97robem; 19th Feb 2006 at 14:33.