PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst mistake you've made?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2006, 10:47
Blinkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rooney thats not a mistake, thats just your personality making the most of an unfortunate situation. From what you've written in other threads I would have thought flying the a/c outside your personal limits would be more for a mistake.....

For me my biggest mistake was towards the end of my PPL, was doing some solo consolidation, everything was going fine. It was late in the afternoon and the sun was low in the sky and when I came back I found that EDI had switch runway to 24, problem now was that the sun was right on the horizon. Circuit and approach was fine, with the nose low the sun was blocked out, I didn't take into account how much of a problem it would be when I flared. So as I flare sun comes into view and I suddenly can't see anything. Problem was that I had flared slightly too high, which usually is easily corrected, but needs you to be able to see out! Anyway a/c was sinking down, realised that it wasn't a good situation and was just about to go around when THUMP, hit the runway with a mighty bump. Wasn't dangerously hard but enough to shake my confidence abit.