PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging competancy
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 23:55
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a slight slant - I would suggest that unless you know the pilot you really do want to give them a more thorough work-out.

In particular, steep turns 60deg and fully developed stalling + SSR will certainly help show you how competent this person is - in fact I usually find these two are probably the best indicators - if the steep turns + stalling are rusty the PFL, EfATO and circuits usually follow the same plot.

Make use of the time for the benefit of the person coming though - find out if they are in their last 12months and need that 1hr flt with an instructor - because that way you know to make it 1hr minimum and possibly save them some money - theyll thank you for that and if they were entering the 'check out' arena resentfully, then this certainly goes some way to getting them on-side - especially for the debriefing.

The ultimate thing to remember in check-outs is this:

Its not a flight test - you are there to help the pilot, and ultimately make sure he is 'safe'. Being rough around the edges is not unsafe...and can be expected from the vast majority of pilots. The time alarms bells ring is - inability to execute SSR correctly - particularly regarding use of aileron/rudder during any wing drop (hence why I prefer a prolonged fully developed clean stall before recovery) - any alarming tendencies near the ground - NW first, overcontrol, bad x-wind technique which could endanger the a/c.

I often recommend that folks should do blah & blah when returning from the next XC rather than diving into the a/d immediately.

Hope this helps,
FF