PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 212/412 Steep Approaches Offshore
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 19:49
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also favor slow and steep, especially at night. Lots of things can hurt me down there, and an engine failure is near the bottom of the list. Pieces of iron and fiberglass sticking up around the pad are near the top. I don't worry much about engine failure, but I worry a lot about hitting something in the dark that I didn't see, and that also goes in the daylight.

I aim for the far edge of the deck, and at the angle which I use for the approach, that puts me near the center of the deck at a hover, which is right where I want to be. If I fall from there, I'll stay on the deck. If I aim for the near edge, I'll end up over the water, and I don't want to be there. I sometimes fly with pilots who want to approach fast and shallow, and that scares me. If you don't get slowed down exactly right, it can get really, really ugly on the bottom. A slow approach at about 250 fpm descent lets me come to a hover with very little extra collective needed, no hairy flare to stop, and a constant heartrate.