PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier sued over Pinnacle CRJ crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 18:58
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't flown the CRJ series of aircraft. does anyone know if the engines are started on the ground with apu air (pneumatic starts) or by electric starter motor (that might be switched to perform function of generator after start)?

I love the dc9, but when at high altitude and descending at idle thrust, some of the older planes had their cabin altitude climb a bit... the engine out at high altitude scenario and getting hypoxia is not to be laughed at...sadly it is not trained for enough.

I think we as pilots depend too much on the 10thousand foot altitude warning horn, and with the case of the cypriot737, were fooled into thinking something was wrong with the gear warning horn!

awhile ago, there was a fine article about people traveling to florida on a CAL flight. one of the older folks died and lack of oxygen was to blame. Dippy pilot was quoted as saying something like, don't blame me if they are too old to fly.

many older people fly to florida...(duh)...after I read this article I started flying a bit lower to hold a 6k cabin instead of an 8k cabin. while I am not a statistician, more people came up to me telling me how much they enjoyed the flight.

Those 8 thousand foot numbers were derived during WW2 using healthy young men as subjects...not older people.

so, if you lose an engine or two, get on oxygen right away!

GEE

or should I say, G-E ?

ps. if you have a loss of any engine or all engines...trim for best glide and head towards your pre-selected field for landing...once you have the option of gliding to some kind of survivable landing, you might try the restart option including accelerating to obtain windmill speed.

of course if you are way out over the ocean, might have to try inflight relight first! ;-)

jon