PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier sued over Pinnacle CRJ crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 16:22
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could find nothing indicating the use of alcohol or illegal drugs of any kind. Please be specific if you have something quote it!

Now, what I hear is that a crew took an airplane up to the edge of its "envelope". I hear joking around ( believe me it happens in cockpits) ... even a joke about beer, but that is all it is a joke.

now, if one of the pilots left the flight deck at fl410 to get pepsi and the other didn't put on the oxygen mask that is a big problem in my book.

I also hear a responsible pilot trying to avoid crashing into a house or houses.

expletives are part of everyday life these days. so is the word "dude". In my 12000 some odd flying hours, it is sometimes easier to call someone "dude", pardner, hey clem or whatever. It is easy to forget the name of someone you are flying with if you haven't flown with them before.

no where did the word "mayday" come up in the CVR. I checked with my "FIND FUNCTION". Believe me, "MAYDAY" might have gotten a little more attention from ATC...they got cleared direct to JEF , and they spent some time trying to tune up JEF...ATC should have given them a heading (unless I missed this, please check and inform me), a RADAR VECTOR and a few seconds might have been saved.

I will say that the CAM 2 (f/o) seemed more concerned about stalling/coffin corner etc than the captain.

One thing to really understand too is that at FL410 the cabin altitude may have been at the max for this plane. Is it possible that a little bit of hypoxia had happened. For years, 8000 feet has been the magic number....but I know that at 8000' cabin altitude I feel it. I know that boeing is advertising at max cabin altitude of 6000' for comfort in its new 787 dreamliner.

Hypoxia is even more telling at night on the human mind...night vision suffers and so forth. perhaps this is why the less than swift reaction to the "ball" being out of center.

all dudes aside, once they started on the checklist the professionalism seemed to return a bit ...

this core lock business sounds something like a "hung start" problem on the ground in the old garrett turboprop. things get a little warped due to different coolings.

sorry, whatever you think the problem is with the crew ( and they are not perfect...neither was atc) that plane should not be certifed so high and there better be a fix for the engine relight...even allowing for in - flight use of ground starter motors either electric or pneumatic whichever this thing has.

the envelope better be made smaller on this plane to keep it safe.

jon