PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A340-300 incident @ JoBurg. Report is public
Old 18th Feb 2006, 15:45
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Millerscourt

From your post it's presumed that on no occassion then should we consider flex/derate departures from JNB? Come on, unless there are situations such as contaminated runways or windshear forcast for example, and there are several other reasons, then using flex if the performance allows us is normal and standard practice. The Captain did use ' airmanship' ultimately by applying full thrust and pulling back visually. No one on this earth would intentially overrun because thay were simply following instruments.

We do have deficiencies in training which i'm not prepared to go into on a public forum but there's one thing that stands out like a dog's balls.The sooner we as a Company can openly and honestly admit these errors and pass on lessons learned to our very own pilots then the better it will be for all involved. We are quick to use other Airlines accidents as case studies in CRM but our own habit of brushing problems nearer to home under the carpet, prevents us from dealing with far more relevant issues.

I'm fed up of reading about ' HF contact lost with Mumbai '. What I and every other pilot wants to read and LEARN from are the incidents that aren't published. The incidents that happen to our Aircraft and our crews!

It all implies rather sadly that there's far too much rhetoric when it comes to the Companies view of Safety and merely highlights the gulf that exists between 'talking' safe and 'training' safe.

So come on EK, we've carried out our own internal investigation into JNB so please reveal the causes behind this incident. Remember our Corporate motto .........Safety Sense!

Last edited by BYMONEK; 18th Feb 2006 at 15:56.