PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - El Al Airlines installs anti-missile systems on passenger aircraft
Old 18th Feb 2006, 14:14
the heavy heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
I guess that means we have to unpack all the door slide/rafts and pull out the flares from the survival equipment

It seems from the helicopter downings in Iraq that the bad guys don't restrict themselves to IR seekers
don't know very much about anti ir mx flares do u chap!

when i had them strapped to my first jet we treated them with the upmost respect. they were made safe with pins, like gear pins, that were removed by the groundcrew in a designated arming area. and i seem to remember that we didn't arm them electrically till we were airborne (was 8 years ago so i may be confused). I think the issue is not having defensive aids but how they are armed and safed.

u drop some flares or chaff on a busy pan at a major airport and you'll hurt some people, no doubt.

as for your expert anaylasis of the bad guys tactics. we'll be safe when we have jamming pods, flares, chaff and a handy stealth mode making us invisible from the stolen zsu sitting at the end of runway! next thing you know we'll be painting the jets grey and giving them sharks teeth