PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO training sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2006, 12:55
qcode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the ASTAC website and contact them. I think the Aerodrome course is about 12K and Radar about 15K. You do not need a APP rating at most units nowadays. Self funding is quite risky as you may not pass but the ultimate test is validation at a unit. I do not think that 27K plus living expenses for 6 months is a big sacrifice, because at the end you will be earning twice the amount. Just think about all the commercial pilots who self funded and paid in the region of 40K to get the dream job. Another analogy is that most working people will buy a car for 10K yet earn 20K, they are quite happy to do that. An ATC Licence will not depreciate in value like a car. Other people take a mortgage for 4 times what they earn. My opinion is that you should think about what it is worth to you to spend a small amount of money to do your dream job. You will easily get a job but it might be worth contacting all the UK ATC Managers to check when vacancies may occur so that your timescale meets them. I did hear of someone who was offerred a position if they passed the APR only no TWR Rating only radar, so you could just do the radar to get a job. Good luck.