PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 22:01
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A vey old joke tells me that a Regular officer, is an officer trying to be a getleman, a RAuxAF officer, is a gentleman trying to be an officer, while a VR is neither trying to be both. How rude!!!
I am sure that if any member of the VR(T) would like to join the RAuxAF, even for 5 years, the experience passed on will be very useful. It is possible to be in both organisations as neither cut across the needs of the other. However, as pointed out below, the RAuxAF are subject to call up, and if the letter falls on your mat, it is too late to resign. You go to the RAF, or to jail.
Just for info, most Sqns (can't speak for all) will only bring a new entrant in as a direct entry officer, if they have held commissioned rank in the RAF. Everyone else joins in the ranks, irrespective of their qualifications. After they have served 18 months or so, and have demonstrated their committment, they are invited to apply for a commission should they wish. From then on, we follow much the same process for selection for IOT. Applicants, then complete a "distance learning" course, and follow it up with 2 weeks at Cranditz before returning for a final long weekend for final exams. The whole deal takes about 18 months, and is by no means an easy option. Our people then follow standard RAF professional training courses, but in weekend sized chunks. It takes a long time, but our trained people should be able to do much the same job as a regular serviceman, given a short refresher, and orientation into the station to which he/she is sent.
I am sure the RAuxAF would welcome as many ex cadets, or members of ATC adult staff who might want to come along.