PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 Takeoff/Landing Performance Requirments
Old 17th Feb 2006, 21:08
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky Captain
I would suggest the minimum runway length be at least 3500m, which caters for 747 long range ops and allows for the inevitable weight growth of the A380. Plus being a new facility, you’ll need the 240m RESAs beyond the strip end. All up, 4100m of length is desirable, although it can be done in 3400m for the 2800m runway.

An all new runway is actually much cheaper to build (per sq.m.). The 60m runway, shoulders, RESAs, parallel taxiway, widened taxiway turning fillets (also designed for the difficult to fit A340-600), connect to existing taxiway system, and providing enough taxiway exits (including a couple of high speed ones) so as to have good runway capacity: - US $52 million construction cost. Consulting fees and supervision and charges $8-10 million. Add US$10 million for earthworks (making the ground smooth and level) for an easy site or up to $50 mill if there are big amounts of filling and cutting to be done. Add in the terminal and gate upgrade costs. Add in the various factors mentioned above. That gives a feel for project basic cost to which a prudent person adds a contingency of 15-25%.

Still warning about the vital route analysis and economics - the A380 is radically different to the 747. I was really surprised when I did the analysis for our A380 runway upgrade work.

And a final thought on project costs - the terminal building can be a potential blow-out item because it is closely affected by politics and prestige. If the president / mayor / governor / chairman is up for re-election next year or is going to retire in a couple of years, there is a temptation to make this their landmark and go for a new terminal. The costs I've quoted will just add functionality to an existing building. But when the visionary designers get there spruiking . . . . the new terminal has soaring peaks sweeping out above the bold imaginative glass roof where the soul of the user soars in harmony with the spirit of flight and the outstanding vision of your eminence stands above all. Well shucks - how big is the cheque book.

Last edited by OverRun; 18th Feb 2006 at 06:42.