PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 15:19
batfink2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aluminium persuader
Rather, I would like to see air cadet officers badged as RauxAF and given more training, not less.
Very true! But, as hobit says, the caveat to release them from call-up duties! With regards to training - absolutely! It's well needed - but amongst all staff - not just VRTs. At present I'm a CI doing the job of Training Officer, but also part-time Squadron Adj too. Do I get training in this? Not until I put on a Blue suit - but right now, I'm simply not ready for it - yet I'll continue to fulfil these executive officer roles because of the Corps being so short staffed!!

It's true that many VRTs & SNCOs struggle to get time off to do activities as it is. The Corps is driven by volunteers who normally have to give up their own holiday to do these events. For VRT's & SNCOs they can claim pay - but employers rarely support leave for "youth clubs". A simple, if slightly dubious way forward, would be transferring the VRT stream so that they are eligible for full Reserve Forces leave under SaBRE - something which more employers will recognise than a simple "Air Cadets" statement.

A basic fitness level would be a start..
I thought you were trying to encouarge people to join! I can see a great many deaths if we ever try and get half the VRT's I can think of to do a squat thrust - let alone a BFT!!!
Mind you - in this respect I have heard a couple of rumours from Cranditz regarding some people being rejected from DI's courses because of their tubby tummies! To be a DI you need to command the respect of the troops - and they simply don't respect fatties... or so I'm told!!!

and perhaps educational minima, but most importantly some training with regulars. Most civvy occupations have some equivalency in the forces - why not offer some "work experience"? Why not get ATC sqn adj's to spend time with regular sqn adj's, OCs with OCs? It would work the other way too - couldn't those personnel on careers office postings also be seconded to an ATC sqn? When I was an ATC sqn boss I had no adj and nearly sank under the paperwork. I would have given anything to have an admin/sec type to help me.
I think cross-training with regulars would be hugely beneficial at all levels. One of our Sqn VRT's is going away with the Rockapes shortly on a cross training course - trying to learn about fieldcraft, the roll of the rockapes and doing some practicals with them. This sort of activity is essential in allowing us to accurately inform the gadgets about the RAF.

At present your uniformed staff need only present themselves at Cranditz for a single week long course in order for them to pass their course. This is the only time which they are REQUIRED to set foot upon an RAF Station. They might spend the next X years mincing around the Corps without even seeing an RAF Station! How is this kind of person meant to enlighten and enthuse an Air-minded young person when they have only 1 weeks experience of the Air Force (when even that is in the vacuum of RAFC Cranwell!).

Although, as Hobbit points out, this can be scuppered and crippled by peoples lack of leave. However, I would imagine that there are as many people that would jump at the opportunity as there is those who will have leave issues!!!