PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ AVIATION INDUSTRY
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 14:33
thekite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fries with that?

While you are crossing the Tasman, be sure to get a window seat so you can wave to all the Kiwi pilots flying the other way, hoping for the same thing!

NZ or Australia, the opportunities are pretty similar.

When I was a new helicopter pilot, I really wanted to do cattle mustering, but I flew tourists instead. Later, when I was a CFI, I encouraged my students to follow suit. There are many advantages to gaining experience this way.

I flew tourists at Glen Helen Roadhouse in the NT,and would do a sales pitch to tourists getting off the tour coaches.

Tip 1: wait until they have had a few beers.

Tip 2: Do not serve behind the bar. They have never known a sober barman, but insist that their pilot IS sober!

Later, I flew tourists at Warragamba Dam NSW, from the Lion Safari Park.

Tip 3: By all means park the JetrRanger in the lion enclusure, but be sure that the Getaway Holden Kingswood is actually there before you shut down and get out.

I used to listen to the ABC on the ADF. Sometimes you can get BBC panel games to listen to.

Tip 4: Try not to burst into screams of laughter on takeoff. It unsettles the clients.

Tip 5: Do not give up your day job. If you can carry on as chef, bouncer or librarian as part-time employee, you can survive as well as fly. I was an L.A.M.E. and selected helis because I noticed that they go to nasty places and break down. So my "day job" got me opportunities that I would not have otherwise had.