PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Out Emergency Turns
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 12:27
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have the same sort of thing on our pref sheets.

And after talking to one of the tower controllers at man. Her responces was christ don't do that it would stick you straight in the way of any GA's on the other runway.

There are other crackers like at 50ft turn left by 20 degrees.

Some as you say follow the sid then take you back others you get to do some acrobatics and get to do 170 deg heading changes at 1700ft just to get you back in the overhead.

I believe these engine out turn procedures have been produced by the performance company to a standard design. They have very little to do with real life, they have been produced to comply with some regulation for paper work. And more importantly with no regard at all to the local ATC procedures.

To be honest I have now started briefing the old way of "In case of engine failure follow the SID and ask for radar vectors when we are ready" And when flying with one of the gods in the training deptment. I have only once been asked why we are not going to be flying the pref emrg turn. Which I replied the SID has been designed for Pref A machines and we can comply with the minimum climb grad on one engine and I really don't fancy heading off on some procedure that ATC don't have a clue where we are going and we don't have any seperation from other aircraft. The reply was "OK seems fair enough"

But unfortunatly there are some that you really do need to comply to eg PIK. It would be better for the airport to publish a standard emergency turn which complies with Pref A min climb grad so that everyone knows whats happening.

Why on earth anyone would want to be swinging an aircraft round the sky at 1700ft to enter the hold at 3000ft while trying to secure an engine. When they have available a highly trained ATCO who is more than capable of steering you round the sky avoiding high ground and other aircraft mistifies me.

Last edited by tescoapp; 17th Feb 2006 at 12:38.