PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do if your radio failed?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 11:07
Papa Charlie
Chocks away!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowNSlow
IO540 you don't always have to have a socket for the external aerial available. I use an Icom A-3 tucked into the back pocket of the passenger seat. This puts the aerial the same distance from the instrument panel as the external area and seems to work well.
Kolibear I have found that the background noise in the average light aircraft is too loud to make conversation practical. Going back to he original post, in the past I have landed outside the Control Zone and phoned for clearance which was duly granted to be available within a certain timeframe.
Returning to Shoreham with radio failure in a PA28 a couple of years ago, the mobile phone solution worked a treat. ATC were able to give runway, wind direction and gave us clearance for a straight in approach rather than join a busy circuit. It was noisy but ATC and I could communicate which was the important thing.
Agree on concentrate first and foremost on flying - I was in RH seat at time so my friend could continue flying without further stress.