PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do if your radio failed?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 09:13
wombat13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
Fly the aircraft.
Cricket23, I know you are looking for the answer that will get you through your test, but A & C has hit the nail on the head.

Yes, yes I know there are lot's of things you can do in the air, but be realistic of your ability to accept an increased workload. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Best bloody mantra in the world and yes, sqwaking 7600 is communicating. Make sure you have the first two under control before fighting to get the code in. And by the way, I don't agree to 7700 for one minute before switching to 7600 as suggested by Splang. In my experience ATC are not stupid people and will recognise 7600 without the unnecessary drama of 7700 first.

In the circuit pre GST at a class D field I had radio failure. ATC made a point of calling the club to comment that I had done everything right (all the way down to being the smart-arse in flashing the landing light to acknowledge the solid green lamp on short final).

Only I knew how badly I had flown the circuit and the aircraft in trying to deal with a radio failure. Notwithstanding the fact my ability to cope with the in flight workload has increased, never again will I so disregard:

AVIATE
NAVIGATE
COMMUNICATE

The Wombat