PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dispatcher - Job Description
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2006, 05:50
aviator's_anonymous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Dispatch Officer who's only had the job for 1 year... This was my first Airline job and has been a great learning curve! Although I do not totally agree with the "12 months minimum experience" comment... i do beleive that you must be able to learn and think quickly, and have an understanding of how things work airside...
The main duties for me as a dispatcher, include ensuring the safe loading and trim of the aircraft. Before a flight, we send off a Load Instruction Report to tell the ground handlers how to load the aircraft with regards to the frieght and bags... I work with the local freight company to ensure that correct frieght is ordered, and after a flight has closed off to checking in, i work out total aircraft weight figures and so fuel can be ordered for the flight. During this time, a Load and Trim sheet is prepared for the Flight and given to the Pilots... Also, inbetween, you work out any quirks with flight attendants and ground staff that may happen with passanger numbers, checking in, and anything really that has to do with the loading of the aircraft. Fast thinking and being able to stay on your feet and seeing the whole picture helps as "cleared for take off" mentioned. But as mentioned, if things are delayed, a lot of the times you bear the blame, and if flights leave before or on time, you're just doing your job and having fun