PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dispatcher - Job Description
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 21:48
cleared for take off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me a proper dispatcher is a dying breed. The main problem for this in my eyes is the handling agents so often employed by the airlines to provide this service either under pay them or even worse under value their position.

The position of the dispatcher is to liase with all the service providers servicing the aircraft on a turnaround and ensure everthing happens when it is supposed to happen in line with the airlines requirements. In my experience (10 years) now as long as a flight departs early or at least on time a dispatcher sees their job as done if this happens. But have very little regard for the consequences to the airline in particular if the flight should depart late. Sometimes I accept this is beyond their control, ie, late inbound aircraft, technical problems etc.

I believe there should not be a dispatcher working on any airfield that has not worked for at least 12 months on check-in prior to commencing their career in dispatch. The knowledge of the 'other side' of an airlines operation cannot be under valued. At the end of the day how can a dispatcher co-ordinate a service when he or she does not know how other aspects of the services provided work.

To become a proficient dispatcher you need to have a thick skin, be able to take abuse face to face or on the phone/radio and have a will to triumph over all adversity. For me the greatest hurdle in a dispatchers life is the fueller as they seem to turn up when they are ready, which is not always when they should. In a way they can hold the flight to ransom because fuel is probably the only commodity an aircraft cannot depart without. Maybe I am being harsh but I am sure fellow dispatchers can relate to this.

But in saying all the above, the Captain/Dispatcher relationship has to be a good one. A dispatcher needs to build a firm relationship with the flight deck from the first minute of a turn as if anyone is going to complain about a lack of service it will be the Captain. And by virtue of the position the dispatcher will bear the brunt of it.

Be under no illusions the job of a dispatcher is not an easy one despite what anyone may remark. The way to make dispatchers in this country however, need to command respect from their employer before this profession becomes recognised for the essential job it does.

All my above comments are based on a basic dispatchers position. Now if that dispatcher was responsible for providing the load sheet for each particular flight as well then my post would have been a whole lot longer!!!!