PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Freddie Laker Dies
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 17:21
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be saddest event in recent aviation history.

I well remember going to Manchester as a kid and looking at the Skytrain fleet and wishing my folks earnt enough to get on one!!

It's amazing that certain things stick in your mind, and I remember coming home from the dentist after having a tooth out as a kid to the evening news that Laker had gone bump. A week later going to MAN and looking at 3 or 4 DC 10's lined up on the far side of the apron, impounded by the airport. I even have a picture somewhere of them.

I find it amazing that on this site, where there are always contrasting views on whatever is being discussed that this thread is 4 pages long, and not a bad word has been uttered against Sir Freddie. That, more than anything, speaks volumes about the man and his legacy.

Going back to earlier comments, I think it is fair to say that Stelios, Branson, MOL and others owe this great man a huge debt, and it would be a great tribute if they were to publically aknowledge this fact.

Finally, there are others here who met the man, worked for him and knew him. I never even got close to riding on one of his planes, but the legacy he leaves behind will forever benefit air travellers. Maybee we should start a petition for Branson to paint one of his planes in Laker colours, I can't think of a more fitting tribute, can you??

RIP Sir Freddie. You are already sadly missed.