PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual UK + US training PPL?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 17:04
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons may be because, apparently, it's not strictly true.

A CAA inspector advised me, last year (when I commented on schools cancelling their JAA approval status), that what the paragraph in LASORS meant to say was "AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CAA..." and that the discretion would be based on the applicant proving beyond a reasonable doubt, that the training already undertaken was genuinely towards an ICAO licence but, for reasons beyong the applicants individual control, they had to cease that training and continue within the JAA empire.

An example given to me was a US citizen who had some thirty odd hours training towards a genuine FAA PPL when his parents decided to emigrate to the United Kingdom.

Now, back to the question - it is quite common for someone to start training with a USA based (CAA/JAA approved) school but finish the course in the United Kingdom. Just don't expect to do it in 45 hours.

A much better solution would be to START your training in the UK, get all the writtens exams, R/T practical and first solo done, and then go to the States to get the good weather for the longer duration flights (cross country).

I know I'm going to get flamed - but don't really care, 'cause it's my job - but if you fly with students, you can see a clear difference between those who have started their training in the UK from those who have started it with a USA based school.

Last edited by Keygrip; 16th Feb 2006 at 17:14.