PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair/Channel 4 dispatches Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 15:33
coopervane
Oops pardon me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Security

One of the things the program shows up is what a joke security is at airports.
In this country, apart from the BAA group of airports, each establishment seems to have its own set of rules and regulations.
Another thing you notice is the lack of consistancy with security staff when it comes to applying the said rules.

Isnt it about time we had a common UK airport ID system? And given that to obtain a UK airside pass you need to pass all the "strict" checking process,why do they allow people temporary ID cards with such limited checking?

The whole system needs an overhaul. I am sure there are some aspects of security we can be proud of. Some establishments seem to get the balance just right between applying the rules and allowing the everyday flow of an airport to run smooth. Others can be just bloody minded empire builders!

It would be simpler to be very strict and say you don't work airside without a fully verified permanent ID card. This should be valid at all UK airports but controlled as personnel require access.

The government is responsible for this mess. If one organisation controlled all UK airport security from the start, then by now we would have had a streamlined slick system in operation. It would also make it very simple to check for terrorist activety with a common controlling authority.

I am not having a go at security staff. They do a difficult and sometimes tiresome job within a poor control framework. Maybe better pay, better training and upping the status of a security officer may reap rewards. Trying to do it on a minmum budget only leads to complacency and lack of interest.

Ryanair may be guilty of a few indescressions but perhaps Dispatches should look at something much more lacking. The state of security at UK airfields!!!

Coop & Bear

PS Having fitted numerous bullet proof, electric latch, anti terrorist cockpit doors to aircraft in my varied career, why did that Ryanair Captain let that passenger in the cockpit?? Surely not a wise move at all!!!