PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair/Channel 4 dispatches Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 15:33
The late XV105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working from home in the UK to hold down a job based in Sweden, I have flown Rynair to Skavsta since 1997 more times than I can possibly remember. In fact, without (broadband ADSL and) low cost travel I wouldn't have this luxury. From my library of [email protected] e-mails received over the past year I have averaged about £60 return, plus £30 in car park charges, £15 in Flybussarna coach tickets, and 120 miles of running cost for the car. Bargain.

Of course, unlike my regular long haul business class travel with other airlines I:

> don't enjoy the Ryanair experience in the slightest
> hate the endless adverts and commercial promotions
> grimmace at the appalling grammar of the recorded preflight announcement
> detest being herded like livestock
> wish that food went beyond the junk variety
> wish that food was actually in stock on the last flight of the day
> rue the decision to order new a/c without reclining seats

...but it remains true that for my tuppence ha'ppeny I have:

> never had baggage lost
> been notified in good time via e-mail of the two schedule changes that occurred
> been delayed beyond 30 minutes only twice (max 2 hours) with the vast majority of arrivals on time (probably due to creative scheduling but at least this means I can plan my day)
> never seen staff asleep on the job
> never felt unsafe within my ability to perceive (I am no airline safety expert by any stretch but am observant and perceptive to machine operation and crew behaviour)

So, I do feel that VFM is given, but I don't see the need to screw and screw and screw every last penny. For this reason I rue the demise of DUO who I used to fly with from Birmingham to Goteborg. That really was VFM as it struck a balance between low fares without being the lowest screwed-to-the-penny low fares and gave service and decorum (as an aside in a beautiful aeroplane!) with it. A shame that either the marketing was inept or the business model fundamentally flawed. This leaves easyJet as my short haul carrier of choice; some of the GO approach seems to live on and as well as the plus points of Ryanair applying here too, I actually enjoy most of these frequent flights.