PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2006, 15:05
incubus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one here to 'fess up and show my true colours as a member of the ATC, but not VR(T) - more on that later.

I totally agree that more training should be available for Air Cadet staff but I'd put forward that it needs to be self-provisioned. Realistically, there is very little to gain from the work experience you mention as the similarities between the role of a CO on a cadet squadron and a CO at an RAF unit can be pretty marginal (you will be aware of this, AP; others may not.) The ACO is not merely a little air force but it is a very different beast. In fact, some of the trouble we see is because ex-shineys are appointed to high level posts with little or no understanding of what it is to be a volunteer and to help run a squadron full of actual cadets. Whilst fitness should be encouraged (as in any company), we aren't required to be combat ready and having a basic fitness requirement beyond breathing and mobile is an unnecessary limitation

Having the VR(T)s there helps to keep the link between the ACO and the parent service and I think is a valuable thing. Unfortunately, there are nobbers who are in it for the ego (same as the RAF ) but there are many more good souls and I echo the sentiment that the focus needs to be on the cadets.
That link would still be there as oggies (and it would be easier to integrate my own branch...) but are there not other complexities that go with being a member of the RAuxAF? If we can just beat the offenders with a stick until we readjust their attitude, we would achieve the same with less hassle.

My branch? I am an Adult Warrant Officer (part of the the Adult SNCO side of the ACO which now includes ASgts and AFSs) - I'm curious to know if they cause confusion or hassle to the regulars or if we are on the whole a little more well behaved. We aren't VR(T) or auiliary - we are actually in the ATC in the same way as the cadets themselves are - effectively civilians in RAF uniform.