PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German Bundesverfassungsgericht declares shot down of hijacked airliners invalid
Old 16th Feb 2006, 14:58
Evening Star

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as SLF, if I may be permitted to join the debate for a moment, the 'do we shoot down' dilemma is somewhat fighting yesterday's battle. Since 11 September 2001 it is very unlikely, as demonstrated by the 'Shoebomber' incident amongst others, that any SLF are going to suffer a potential hijack without taking action. For certain, now knowing how a hijack could end, I will not take that fate without trying something different and I am sure I am not alone in that thinking. And the terrorists know that, so that anybody next planning to use an aircraft to highlight their vainglorious cause will either have to stack the aircraft with terrorists (logistically unlikely?) to control SLF who will take action, or come up with something original and unexpected. I suspect, in the aftermath of the next terrorist outrage, the 'original and unexpected' will render irrelevant any shoot down option.