PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2006, 23:57
212man

Received 338 Likes on 190 Posts
Ref the last para about the attack killing 14 soldiers: I may be wrong, but I think this was Benisede which is not a platform. For the benefit of those with no knowledge of the area, the majority of installations and hence helicopter destinations) are actually onshore, within the Delta. The tend to be on river banks in the swamp and/or in jungle clearings. The whole area is a network of rivers of varying sizes, hence the speedboat being the preferred method of transport for militants.

Regarding the gunships (they are basically Hinds, but I believe are the export version, Mil-35, so are not technically called Hinds!) I remember sitting in the crew room at Ogunu Helipad and hearing an unfamiliar signature of a helicopter approaching. I went out to look and was intrigued to see a 'Hind' coming in to land. As it taxied in an equally surprised crowd assembled to watch. It shut down and the crew jumped out and we asked what they wanted. They'd come for fuel, as arranged. First we knew of it. This is the Texaco Base? Er, No!

Hopefully their attacks are delivered with more accuracy!