PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2006, 16:59
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In The Penetrators, I think the author was Gray, the aircraft was a Vindicator or similar name. On the Sky Shield exercise I believe the Vulcan ECM achieved a hard kill on the Norad sites as they had inadequate overload protection against high powered jammers.

As far as what we did on Western Rangers, the exercise that Beagle refers to was, I think, up to 10 days, and included flights on Oil Burner routes. The previous WR that I did in the mid 60s were purely high level and we were supposed to make 3 or so attacks inbound and outbound. Unlike UK the US used dedicated RBS - Radar Bomb Scoring units and Nike Missile sites. The latter had vulnerability periods when, I guess, they were open to give a random coverage across the Conus.

Problem for us was the Nike vulnerability often clashed with pubrise times at Offut and Goose. Two suitable RBS bombplots were Watertown and Hastings. Unfortunately the latter was west of Offutt by about 90 miles and the skipper called a fuel priority first time we had a go. Second time I got a good score there. Watertown likewise required a route deviation that p*ssed the AEO off as we had to leave the airway.

One trip (the good one) we had had the new target designations efficive 1 May and we were attacking on 4 May. As we ran in the RBSU queried our target and suggested we might have been going for a different one. They had not got the new target list. We quickly declared to old target teller and pressed on.

Their RBS patter was different from UK. If you tried to blag it - well you know the problems of language - OTOH spiel out their patter - Romeo 5 on target Charlie etc and you were quids in. Romeo 5 was a radar offset attack.