PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2006, 14:18
NTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex Cdt Ex VRT (inc Sqn Boss) Ex ACLO (posted)
Been their and spent alot of time doing and then organising air cadet activities. First things first, I could never go back to it as it is very different to the real air force (don't start shouting all you VR(T) peeps out there.). The uniform is where the similarity ends. The majority of VR(T) officers have no real idea how the air force runs BUT the majority of regular officers have no idea what goes into the running of an ATC sqn day to day. I still take my hat off to those that are there for the cadets. There are those few idiots that bring the name down but thats upto the VR(T) officers to self police. I have had to take VR(T) to one side in the bar when I was ACLO and tell them to wind their neck in but then again I've had to do that with mates as well. My latest adventure is helping to run an AEF (stictched) and some of the officers are very dis-organised (bring cadets without logbooks signed etc) but its not their primary job.
Starting to get carried away. For those who are doing a good job (and you know who you are) well done.
Finally, I had 9 of my cadets join the air force in the last year I was VR(T). The last one I saw was a RAFP Cpl out in Pristina doing the arrivals. He would never have joined had it not been for the staff on that ATC Sqn at the time giving him the help and advice he needed then. (If he ever does me for speeding on a station I'll remind him what he used to be like!)