PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting a hot Fuel Inj. engine
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2006, 00:25
Big Kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Starting A Fuel Injected Engine??

I'm reading a really good book by Chris Markham about Fuel Injected engines and there is just something that I need to clarify about my knowledge with Fuel Injected engines.

When a Fuel Injected engine is hot, it forms air bubbles in the fuel lines particulary near the fuel distrubution unit and the injector lines. The method that he and a lot of others prescribe in this situation is to close the throttle, close the mixture control (mixture ICO) and put the fuel pump on so as to squirt fuel into the lines and get rid of the air bubbles BUT this will only work up to the Fuel Control Unit.

Because the mixture is left in ICO, then no fuel will be pumped past this point, but past this point is where air bubbles also exist and I would of thought that the general rule of thumb would be to leave the mixture control rich so that it can get past the fuel control unit and purge those parts of the fuel system from air bubbles as well.

Don't want to leave it in too long as flooding the intake port with fuel will occur which will cause a chemically incorrect mixture so there is a limit but can someone please explain why he and others say to leave the mixture ICO....surely this is not circulating fuel around the entire system right?

Thanks in advance

BK