PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER
Thread: MANCHESTER
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 23:51
FlyZB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the whole T1 issue though is what to do about it. As pointed out by VHF Flyer, it is the old airport and although 'taping up' certain areas is not a long term solution, what more can be done? Short of knocking down the whole building and starting again, I really can't think of anything. Many would argue that this is the solution but how can any significant reconstruction work be done effectively without major disruption? T1 is, after all, the busiest terminal. Even during the quieter winter months and done in small stages, it would still be chaos. I agree about the state of the car park and also the piers which are very outdated and in need of, well, something! As i've previously mentioned, the T1 Arrivals Hall will shortly be getting upgraded and the Baggage Hall down there looks much smarter now. From my point of view at least, I really don't think that the public concourse or the departures lounge are all that bad. And don't forget, the majority of passengers are usually too busy worrying about missing their flight or whether they're sat together on the plane to notice the state of the carpet or how dirty the drapes are. I agree that MAN (particularly T1) is not up to scratch with many other major European airports but it has been voted as Best U.K Airport by the travelling public year after year, so it must be damn sight better than it's U.K counterparts surely? Personally, I like the T1 experience. It's got more of a buzz about it than the ridiculously quiet T2 and the somewhat claustrophobic T3.