PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFPS Idol curiosity.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 19:43
GT3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodelay
It sure does take some getting used to, which is why we had a thorough training course and then a period of time after it was up and running, upto six weeks I guess, when there was no requirement to train others. ATCO's started training again when they felt comfortable. There was even the opportunity to revisit the sims post 'O' date if anyone felt they needed more training. We were included as much as possible throughout the development of EFPS and our views were sought whenever possible. The transition may have been difficult for some, but I think most of us that use EFPS would not go back to using paper strips.
GONZO, you sound sceptical. I'd be interested to know what your experience of operational EFPS is. After all, I would have thought if other units are able to make it work and other ATCO's have the ability to retrain and adapt their skills, then you and your unit could as well??
Whilst NO controller at LHR has used it operationally there are still concerns that the additional runway has casued many bugs in the EFPS software. It is wholly unfiar to expect SS, KK and LL to work exactly the same way using EFPS. They never did with paper strips so why should they with EFPS?