PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 18:56
brokenlink

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Air Training Corps

All good stuff and valid opinions on here guys (and gals) but please do not forget what the "V" stand for in VR(T).
Having been commisioned for close on 16 years (statement of fact not a boast) I would agree with Raydarr that you do get the occasional numpty through the system. However having spent an equal number of years as a Civil Servant with the MoD I can catagorically state that both the full timers in the services nor the civil servants are immune from that malise nor for that matter is the outside world. The advantage that the RAF/RN & Army has is that it has a system called Initial Training covering several months in place to weed out the majority of the c*&p. The VR(T) has no such system only having 1 week IOT courses to turn a civilian into an officer. Any rough edges are then left to the individual squadrons/wings to be knocked off. You get a further 1 weeks Senior Officer training on or about the time you may take over a squadron and that is the sum of your officer training! About time some refresher course were mandated every couple of years to assist with the developement of OLQ's.
As to getting rid of the RAFVR(T), Raydarr, was your good lady proud to wear her uniform and hold the Queens Commision?
I am certainly proud to wear mine or is that a crime in your eyes sir?
If you dispense with the VR(T) you will lose a great deal of staff I fear, not because they wish to "ponce around" in messes as you put it but because they are proud to wear that uniform, be part of the RAF and to pass that pride and self respect onto the cadets.
The cadets themselves appreciate the link with the RAF and a number (whatever it is) do go on to join both the air force as well as the other services having recieved a positive impression of service life from (amongst others) the adult staff on the squadron.
If you wanted to ensure a better class of VR(T) officer I would strongly suggest a better and longer training regime possibly run over a series of weekends to avoid clashing with the day job. In addition were a condition of service that individuals took on some form of reserve liability then I suspect that some of the potential posers that have been alluded to would think again.
Happy of course to take the flack on this, but if you can't take a joke you should not have joined!
(Climbs down off soapbox)