PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair/Channel 4 dispatches Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 13:10
Faire d'income
I call you back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is important to consider a little bit of the larger picture before we draw our conclusions.

Firstly this programme was based on the perspectives of two cabin crew with less than 5 months industry experience. I think they deserve a lot of credit for producing something that held most of our attention for a least a while. Some of it was certainly unimportant but they succeeded in capturing part of the Corporate Culture that a lot of us here suspect is rampant in Ryanair.

Those here who shout that all airlines are the same are either not pilots or else should not be pilots.

Those looking for a smoking gun must remember that the source was 2 inexperienced cabin crew. There were times in the documentary when I felt they were close to something but didn't realise it and let the opportunity pass.

The slide was a major issue. If pilots come on here and tell me that it would be left unserviceable on other carriers they should contact Chirp or their Dept for Transport. Ryanair took some criticism of their cabin crew training after the fire on board. Can you imagine if a slide had failed that day? Has anyone here ever heard of a 'write it up at the end of the day culture'?
The security ID at Stansted is a major scam but one for the relevant authorities in the UK.

The vomit is a huge health and safety problem. With Bird Flu and Sars in recent years and the more likely Winter Vomiting Bug around to deliberately expose people to others vomit is sinful. Ryan will no doubt blame his staff for that decision but we can read between the lines.

All in all most of us are probably not overwhelmed by last nights effort. The problem is a real exposé would need a pilot with real experience to go undercover. There are hundreds and probably thousands with shocking stories but how will people know if we don't tell them.

Ryanair's skill is to turn us all into jobsworth's. Gutless, cowardly jobsworth's.
Dispatches did a good job considering they got no help from us.

BTW has anyone noticed that Ryanair has now broken the last aviation taboo. They boast about their crash record and some here use it as a stick to beat other operators. I find this practise abhorrent. Passengers should be able to take it for granted that an airline will not kill them.