PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair/Channel 4 dispatches Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 12:23
silverelise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have said, unfortunately unless things get to a stage where there is a smoking hole in the ground, airline procedures (the stuff that is written down) and more importantly the culture (the stuff that isn't written down) will not be properly investigated by a governing body with the teeth to get something changed.

Ryan Air have ably demonstrated by means of written correspondence and copies of the relevant SOPs that they comply with the letter of the law.

The video evidence suggests that their "unwritten SOPs" (ie. their culture) means that on occasion some things are not done by the book. I know that Ryan Air are not alone in this - eg. SWMBO spent three years as CC at Monarch so I got to hear plenty of stories.

For me the biggest issues which came out of that programme were the impotence of the captain with the three hour delay (I thought he did the best he could considering the hand he'd been dealt) and the comment about the pilot who was demoted because he complained he was too tired to fly a sector.